Adjective | Meaning of Adjective | Types of Adjective | Adjective Functions
However, an Adjective is a word which basically used to add something to the meaning of a noun. Thus, these words describe as well as modify other words, making your writing and speaking much more specific, and a whole lot more interesting. Moreover, it is a word which is used with a noun to describe or point out the person, animal, place or thing, which the noun names or to tell its number or quantity. As these are used to identify or quantify individual people and unique things, they are usually positioned before the noun or the pronoun that they usually modify.
Examples of the Adjectives:
- Lalita was enjoying the hilarious movie.
- Ashok is an intelligent boy.
- She is poor but happy.
- They live in a beautiful house.
- Since it’s a hot day, Lisa is wearing a sleeveless.
- A wise enemy is better than a foolish friend.
- Sugar is sweet but lemon is sour.
- The mountain tops are covered in sparkling.
- He is a man of few words.
- A small leak may sink a big ship.
Types of Adjectives:
Given below are the kinds of the Adjectives:
- Adjectives of Quality.
- Adjectives of Quantity.
- Adjective of Number.
- Distributive Adjective.
- Demonstrative Adjective.
- Interrogative Adjective.
- Possessive Adjective.
- Indefinite Adjectives.
Functions of Adjectives:
However, adjective generally describe the aspects of the noun. Thus, whenever an adjective is describing a noun, we say it is “modifying” it. Moreover, it’s functions are as follows:
- It can describe feelings as well as qualities.
For example: She is very Punctual. They are very honest. He is a noble man.
- However, it can also provide nationality or origin.
For example: I heard a French song. This clock is German. Our house is Victorian.
- Tell about a thing’s characteristics, size, measurement, color, material or shape.
For example: That knife is long and sharp. She wore a red color cotton dress. The envelope is square.
- It also express a judgement or value.
For example: That was an amazing film. Grammar is very complicated. That picture is fantastic.
- Tell us about age.
For example: He is young. My coat is old. He is infant.