Indefinite Pronoun | Examples of Indefinite Pronoun | Uses of Indefinite Pronoun
However, the indefinite pronoun generally refers to the inclusive or non-specific pronoun in a sentence. As the pronoun takes the pace of the noun. So, they keep us from repeating noun over and over again. Some of the few words which falls in this category are as follows: everyone, everybody, someone, somebody, each, one, much, nobody, no one, either, neither, anybody, anyone, any, all, most, some, none, more, both, several, few, and many.
Moreover, we call these pronoun indefinite because of their non-specific status. For example we can say this ‘Anyone may come to the party.’ Thus, in this sentence we aren’t saying who, specifically, may come to the party. However, the indefinite pronoun ‘anyone’ allows the invitation to be wide open. These are the generally those pronoun referring to one or more unspecified objects, beings, or places. They are called “indefinite” simply because they do not indicate the exact object, being, or place to which they refer.
In this there are only 2 simple rules for using the indefinite pronoun. If you remember these rules then you can easily find that writing comes easier for you.
- The indefinite pronoun are never plural. Thus, they are always singular.
- As the indefinite pronoun are singular. All the pronoun as well as verbs which basically used to refer them must be singular as well.
Examples of Indefinite Pronouns:
- All are not happy.
- Some are born great.
- Many are poor.
- One cannot believe it.
- Do good to others.
- Few are rich.
- None but fools can believe it.
- Many are called, but few are chosen.
- Everyone says that she is beautiful inside and out.
- No one wants to hear about my health problems.
Uses of Indefinite Pronoun:
- However, we use the indefinite pronoun in order to refer people or things without saying exactly who or what they are. We use pronouns ending in -body or -one for people, and pronouns ending in -thing for things.
- Moreover, we also use singular verb after an indefinite pronoun.
- Also we use the indefinite pronouns with no- as the subject in negative clauses(not pronouns with any.)