Past Continuous Tense | Examples of Past Continuous Tense | Past Progressive Tense | Rules of Past Continuous Tense | Uses of Past Continuous Tense
However, the past continuous tense is also known as the past progressive tense. It usually refers to the continuing action or state that was happening at some point in the past. Moreover, it is formed by the combining the past tense of to be (i.e., was/were) with the verb’s present participle (-ing word). It also describes the events or actions in a time before now. As well as which began in the past and is still going on at the time of speaking. Thus, it indicated the unfinished or incomplete actions in the past.
Formula : Subject + was/were + 1st form of verb + ing + Object.
- He was playing in the garden.
- They were planning something together.
- She was laughing continuously.
- I was making dinner when he arrived.
- He was crying badly.
Formula: Subject + was/were + Not + 1st form of verb + ing + object.
- You were not reading.
- She was not writing story.
- He was not playing.
- She was not dancing at the party.
- They were not waiting for the bus.
Formula: Was/Were + Subject + 1st form of verb + ing.
- Were you reading?
- Was she playing guitar?
- Were we writing?
- Was he going?
- Were they playing?
Formula: Was/Were + Subject + not + 1st form of the verb + ing.
- Were you not reading?
- Was she not playing?
- Were we not writing?
- Was he not going?
- Was she not cooking?
Uses of Past Continuous Tense:
- We use past continuous tense in order to talk about the past. However, it is also used when something which continued before and after another action. For example: As I was watching television the telephone rang.
- Moreover, it is also used for something that happened before and after a particular time. For example: At Nine o’clock I wrote some stories.
- In order to show something continued for some time. For example: My stomach was paining.
- To tell something that happening again and again. For example: They were always shouting.
- To learn about the verbs which show change or growth. For example: The town was developing quickly.