Past Tense | Examples of Past Tense | Rules of Past Tense | Parts of Past Tense
However, the simple past tense is often just called the past tense. For this you must learn about how to use present tense, Then learning past tense will be easy for you. Moreover, in general the past tense it is used in order to talk about something that started and finished at a definite time in the past.
- I wrote a story.
- It rained yesterday.
- Jane wanted to go to the museum.
- Ram has went to Sirohi.
- We played cricket.
- She cooked food.
- You went to school.
- Rishu watched T.V. all night.
- She played cricket.
- He played guitar.
How to form the Past Tense in English?
However, there is only one main rule in the every verb in English that there is only one form of it in the past tense. In past tense there are usually two forms are most used was and were. For example, in the past tense of the verb want is wanted. Wanted is used as the past tense for all subjects/pronouns. Such as:
- I wanted
- You wanted
- He wanted
- She wanted
- It wanted
- We wanted
- They wanted
So, you are required to learn about the one word wanted which can be used for all subjects (or people).
To talk about the past:
- He worked at McDonald’s and he had worked there since July.
- She was working at McDonald’s. She had been working since July.
To refer to the present or future in conditions:
- She could get new job if she really tried.
- If ram was playing they would probably win.
Hypotheses and Wishes:
- It might be risky.
- I wish it wasn’t so cold.
However, we also use the past form to talk about the present in a few polite expressions:
- Excuse me, I was wondering if this was the train for Jaipur.
- I just hoped you would be able to help me.
Types of Past Tense:
There are four types of past tense are their in grammar. They are:
- Simple Past Tense.
- Past Continuous Tense.
- Past Perfect Tense.
- Past Continuous Perfect Tense.