Preposition | Preposition Meaning | Examples of Preposition | Rules of Preposition | List of Preposition | Types of Preposition
However, a preposition is a set of words which usually indicate the location (in, near, beside, on top of) as well as some other relationship between a noun or a pronoun. Moreover, a preposition is not a preposition unless it goes with a related noun or pronoun. It is known as object of the preposition.
- The book is on the table.
- I congratulate you on your success in the examination.
- Tom agreed with me on that point.
- She is very kind to all of us.
- I met a beggar on the way.
Rules of Preposition:
However, there are only two important rules which you must remember while using this. As the are somewhat vague. Thus, you need to learn about it correctly. In this translation is often impossible when dealing with propositions, even the most advanced English students have some difficulty at first.
- However, the first rule is this that certain propositions must be used to make the relationships between words in a sentence clear. Thus, the most preposition are interchangeable but only to a certain extent.
- The second important rule is that using prepositions is that these words must be followed by nouns.
Lists of the Preposition:
However, there are about 150 prepositions in the English grammar. It usually convey concepts such as comparison, direction, place, purpose, source possession, and time. The following is the brief list of which is used mostly as well as commonly in the language. Thus, the list is as follows.
Aboard, About, Above, Absent, Across, After, Against, Along, Alongside, amid, Among, Amongst, Anti, Around, As, At, Before, Behind, Below, Beneath, Beside, Between, Beyond, But, By, Concerning, Considering, Despite, Down, During, Except, Excepting, Excluding, Failing, Following, For, From, Given, In, Inside, Into, Like, Minus, Near, Of, Off, On, Onto, Opposite, Outside, Over, Past, Per, Plus, Regarding, Round, Save, Since, Than, Through, To, Toward, Under, Underneath, Unlike, Until, Up, Upon, Versus, Via, With, Within, Without, Worth,
Types of Prepositions:
However, there are 6 types of the preposition are present. Thus, these prepositions are as follows:
- Time prepositions.
- Place prepositions.
- Direction prepositions.
- Agent preposition.
- Instruments preposition.
- Phrases preposition.